Kumburk is a ruin of a Gothic castle, about 6 km west of Nová Paka. It is found in one of the points of an imaginary triangle called Bohemian Paradise. Located at an altitude of 642 m asl in the district of Semily, on a steep hill of the same name. Its remains are protected as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic.
The castle was founded in the year 1325 by Markvart of Vartemberk. One hundred years later, during the Hussite wars, it was introduced by the owner Hynek Krušina of Lichtenburg, who was an Orebite governor. Perhaps he had built the outer fortifications. Individual parts of the castle were built spirally above each other.
After the Hussite wars Jindřich Berka of Dubá acquired the castle. After him the castle was taken by the Trčka family of Lípa and the Smiřický family. In 16. In the 19th century the castle was used as a prison. During the Thirty Years War, he was devastated by the Swedes. In the year 1658 was demolished at the command of Emperor Leopold I.
Due to several legends of the ruin, the poet Karel Hynek Mácha visited. There is a memorial plaque. At present, the castle is managed by the Association for the Preservation of Kumburk Castle, which took care of building a lookout tower and also organizes various cultural events that have a charitable purpose (for the money the castle is further reconstructed).
A yellow-marked hiking trail leads to the ruins, starting at the nearest Syřenov train stop and measuring 3 km. Red marked path crosses this route at 0,5 km below the ruins. It leads west to Klepanda on the southern outskirts of Syřenov (distance 2 km), continues east at the crossroad Skalka pod Kumburkem near the village Brdo (1 km) and further to Nová Paka (5 km).
The tower overlooks the Bohemian Paradise and the Mountains. A few kilometers west of Kumburk Castle is another ruin of Bradlec. In contrast to Bradlec, Kumburk has preserved a much larger part of the building substance, especially the lower part of the palace and the remains of towers and walls.
The castle is freely accessible, on weekends is occupied by a tap. The association organizes several historical events at the castle several times a year.