Valdstein (Waldstein) is a ruin in the Semily district near Turnov, in the Bohemian Paradise area. The native castle of the Lords of Valdštejn comes from the second half of 13. century. It is one of the oldest castles in this region.
The castle built one of the branches of the Markvartic family in the years 1260 to 1280. It was obvious that Jaroslav z Hruštice or his son Zdeněk and Valdštejn became their birthplace, according to which they and their descendants used the predicate of the Lords of Valdštejn. They are labeled Wallenstein.
Jaroslav z Hruštice (Hruštice was a fortress near Turnov) first used the name Jaroslav of Lemberk because he was a member of the Lemberk family, the third son of Havel of Lemberk. Havel of Lemberk came from the family of Markvartic, who gained extensive territory in Northern Bohemia for the help of the Premyslids. The mother of Jaroslav was Zdislava of Lemberk, celebrated in 1995.
Wallenstein stayed 100 for years. For example, Zdeněk z Valdštejna, the courtier of King John of Luxembourg, Hynek of Valdštejn, who took part in the 1336 battle of the Czech King in Lithuania, and Jan of Wallenstein who borrowed the 1500 kick of the gros of Margrave Charles, later King Charles IV.
At the end of 14. century residence was acquired by the Vartenberg family, which also belonged to the Markvartic family. With Jindřich of Vartenberk, he decided to settle his accounts with Hussite commander Jan Žižka of Trocnov, who in the spring 1424 pulled up with his troops to Turnov, conquered him, overturned the monastery and conquered Valdštejn. Then he entrusted him to Mr. Valečov, his friend, who, in the year 1427, imprisoned for the year Prince Sigmund Korybutovich, the candidate of the Czech throne. In 1431 there was another supporter of the Hussites Rameš Rozvoda from Stakor (then from Hrádek).
In the 1438-1439 years, the castle (and the nearby Kavcina mansion) were captured by robbery bands, and they are both conquered by terrestrial cash in 1440. Reshaping owners continued. The Sofa of Helfenburg and the 1514 Smiřičtí from Smiřice lived here. Around the year of 1550 the castle lay in the fire ash.
At the end of 17. In the ruin, the hermit Václav Holan Rovenský settled in the ruins and various pilgrims started to come here. Owners of the Wallenstein estate (owners 1620-1821) and after them the Aehrenthal (1821-1945) from the ruins built a romantic pilgrimage site. In 1713 there were stone stairs, 1722 was built in the first courtyard of the Chapel of St. Jana Nepomuckého and soon afterwards a number of sculptures, the year of 1817 was the chapel of St. John the Baptist. At 1836, an entrance gate was built behind a stone bridge, fitted with a number of statues.
The Čihulkov family had a restaurant in the castle from 1923 to 1949. Then it was included in the Sokol team. Since World War II, the mountaineering center.
The ruin is accessible on foot along the green and red tourist sign, the nearest car park is about 1 km away. From Turnov, in the cadastral area of Mašov near Turnov, the castle is located in the distant 3 km jjv. direction. Tours are possible in seasonal months, with entrance fees. The ruin itself is 389 meters, the elevation is 90 meters. The nature reserve Hruboskalsko is located in the southeast side of the castle.
- The castle was called German Waldenstein, in Czech translation Forest stone.
- An image of a saint in a chapel is perhaps the only existing portrait of Karel Hynek Mácha. The author of the 1836 painting is Frantisek Mašek (Maschek, 1790-1862).
- Composer Josef Bohuslav composed Foerster oratorio at Wallenstein Sv. Václav a Fifth Symphony.